Monday, June 23, 2014

When Life Gives You Key Limes...

We are often told that when life gives us lemons, we can choose to make lemonade.  But what happens when life gives us stale, unfrosted, key lime cupcakes?

If you have ADD, or similar quirks and traits, you may frequently get very excited about a cool idea or project and drop everything to get it started.  And then… well, yeah… Then, sometimes we get bored, or run out of energy, or get distracted or think of yet another great idea, and the previous project doesn't quite get finished.   

Last month, I tried a new recipe for key lime cupcakes. They were very yummy!  I didn’t totally love the frosting, so I decided to make them again a couple of weeks ago and alter the frosting recipe.  

The first time I made them, I did that thing where I looked at a bunch of recipes and found the perfect one.  I then checked to see what ingredients I had, purchased the ones I didn’t have and then, when I got home, I didn’t feel like making them anymore.  (Sound familiar to anyone?)   I did, however, make them a few days later.  The limes had shrunk a bit, but were still fine.  Zesting and juicing key limes is no picnic, and especially so when they’re even smaller than usual.  This time, though, I did not let the limes shrink and I even zested enough to make the frosting.  Except that I did not make it.  I had been waiting to let the cupcakes cool and got distracted, or tired, or something.  “Ok, no biggie”, I thought, “I’ll just make the frosting tomorrow.”  But I didn’t. Again. 


A few days later, the zest was shriveled up and dried out. The cupcakes were pretty dry as well.  I was about to throw them out, but instead, I decided to taste them.  They were actually still really good! YAY!  I put them in Ziploc bags and after a few days, still no one had eaten them, including me.  

Once again, I was about to toss them, but then I had an idea.  I wonder if you can make cupcake bread pudding?  Guess what?  You CAN and I DID and it’s DELICIOUS!  
  
It’s no secret to those of us who happen to be wired in this way that one of the costs can be wasted money on “supplies”.  But sometimes, out of a perceived ‘sour’ situation, there comes a new invention, or at least, creative innovation!

If you have any Key Lime Cupcake Bread Pudding stories, I would love to hear them! 


                                                                         



Cut cupcakes in quarters, place them in
a baking dish and add  a mixture of milk,
egg, vanilla, pinch of salt and anything
else you think would be good.  I added 
about an 1/8 of a tsp of key lime zest.  
Bake at 350 for 30-45 min, depending 
on size of your baking dish. Top with
whipped cream or whatever you think
would enhance the experience.  Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home